Nested spl's really needed? - (nf)

bobvan at ccvaxa.UUCP bobvan at ccvaxa.UUCP
Sat Jul 2 13:45:32 AEST 1983

#N:ccvaxa:15200007:000:1179
ccvaxa!bobvan    Jun 30 22:15:00 1983

We're porting 4.1c to non-DEC hardware where it is expensive (time
wise) to emulate the DEC spl instruction (you have to wait for the main
cpu to go interrupt several I/O processors and wait for them to ack).
The new machine is very fast otherwise, including instructions that
just plain disable and enable all interrupts (interrupt requests are
queued when disabled).  We are in the initial design phases of the
port, and are considering replacing spl0() calls with an enable
interrupt instruction, and all other spl?() calls with a disable
interrupt instruction.

My question is:  Do anyone know of places in the kernel where this will
cause us trouble?  That is, does the kernel RELY on having discrete
nested interrupt levels, or is it just using this handy facility built
into DEC hardware?  I think we can nest the two software interrupt
levels (softclock and network) easily, but it'd sure be nice if we can
lump all of the "hardware" spl()'s into one level that is either
enabled or disabled.

As usual, please reply directly to me, and I'll summarize if interest
warrants.

    Bob Van Valzah   ...decvax!pur-ee!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!bobvan
    Compion Corp.    (217) 384-8587