extended C with classes -- is this for sale yet?

gwyn%brl-vld at sri-unix.UUCP gwyn%brl-vld at sri-unix.UUCP
Tue Jul 26 10:32:36 AEST 1983

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn at brl-vld>

To the best of my knowledge "classes" are not part of any UNIX release,
and indications so far have been that the C language will NOT be
officially extended in this way.

Classes are implemented by an additional preprocessor invoked if the
#class
keyword is found by cpp.  It is rather easy to adapt the existing cc &
cpp to run the classes preprocessor, which used to be available from its
author (Bjarne Stroustrup).  I don't know whether he wants to distribute
it or not; presumably if he does he can post it to net.sources.

There are two Bell Laboratories Computing Science Technical Reports on
this subject:
	CSTR No. 84
	"Classes: An Abstract Data Type Facility for the C Language"
and
	CSTR No. 90
	"A Set of C Classes for Co-routine Style Programming",
both by Bjarne Stroustrup.