more

gwyn at brl-vld gwyn at brl-vld
Wed Jul 27 04:41:40 AEST 1983

From:      Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn at brl-vld>

I suspect one of the reasons "more" is not included in Bell UNIX is
that it is the wrong approach to the problem, as pointed out by Rob
Pike at the Toronto USENIX meeting.  I suspect Dennis Ritchie's
stackable line disciplines will appear in an official UNIX release
some day soon, and this would provide a much better hook for dealing
with terminal behavior problems.

In the meanwhile, "more"-like programs should run with minimal
hacking on UNIX System V.  I use one called "pg" that works pretty
well, although it is not termcap-based.