UNIX continues!

jab%berkeley at nwuxd.UUCP jab%berkeley at nwuxd.UUCP
Sat Jul 9 11:37:13 AEST 1983

>From what I remember reading (QUITE a while back), HALTing the CPU isn't
a really great idea.

On the pdp11's, the UNIBUS behaves differently when the CPU is halted. More
specifically, NPR requests fail, and so (older) disks can do unpredictable
things if a transfer is occurring when the CPU is halted. (Really, decvax!aps
is one of the people who come to mind on this. Armando?)

As I said, it's been a while since I've looked at the material on this, but
you are VERY, VERY wrong in the statement that "a partial sync() is better
than no sync() at all."

	Jeff BOwles