4.1c subgroup?

mark at cbosgd.UUCP mark at cbosgd.UUCP
Fri Jul 1 04:01:05 AEST 1983

I think net.bugs.something is appropriate, after all, we're going to post
bug reports and fixes primarily, right?  I don't expect to see much traffic
of the "How do I open a socket to phone E.T." variety for quite some time.
Also, 4.1c is an early 4.2, so we might as well just form a 4.2 newsgroup.
Our choices are:
	(a) net.bugs.4bsd
	(b) net.bugs.42bsd
	(c) net.bugs.4bsd.2
(The "2" on the end could possibly become "42" or "4.2" or whatever).

I lean towards net.bugs.4bsd, but am concerned about collisions with
current 4.1bsd traffic.  We do have precedent - there is a net.bugs.usg
which serves for System III, System V, etc.  No new newsgroups for each
version.  Also note that there is no hope of any more 4.1bsd bugs posted
to net.bugs.4bsd getting fixed in 4.2 - the code has been frozen for 4.2.
(No, I don't know when it's coming out.)

I also want to make sure we all understand that bug reports for 4.1c and
4.2 are primarily for users to help each other out with common bugs.
I'm sure there will be a flurry of 4.1c problems, but this is only because
4.1c is a dot release and intended for limited distribution only.  Berkeley
has actively discouraged people from running it and does not claim it's
sufficiently polished to be considered a real Berkeley distribution.  So
when you see all these bug reports, don't conclude that Berkeley UNIX is
buggy - when the final distribution comes out, I'm confident it will be
solid as a rock.

	Mark Horton