UNIX Test Set

fostel at ncsu.UUCP fostel at ncsu.UUCP
Fri Jul 22 01:57:29 AEST 1983

    Some time ago I mentioned a set of UNIX OS test cases that we were
    building and a number of people responded asking how to get them.
    Well, if you were in Toronto, you should know, but if you were not there
    the following blurb was left on a table for your edification.  I discussed
    the tests briefly; the key fact is that the test set is a subset of 4.1BSD
    that we hoped would be more or less common to most UNIX's.  Note that this
    was done prior to the /usr/group draft std. About 15 of the most common
    system calls are covered in some detail (only documented features).
    Well, on to the blurb:

                N.C. State UNIX* Test Set Information Sheet

                                 7 July 83

     The test set is being distributed, starting in August, to any who
     are interested and execute the liscence agreement.  This is a re-
     gretable but important bit of paperwork, designed to ensure  only
     individuals with an existing agreement with Western Electric will
     see possible propriatary information.  The  agreement  also  pro-
     tects  us  from the potential frustration of watching someone try
     to make money off our work.  A copy of the agreement will be sent
     if  you  request one, in writing, from the address below.  Simply
     mail a self-addressed stamped envelope,  and  I  will  personally
     stuff  it.   Please don't think we're cheap and lazy, rather poor
     and lazy.

     The substance of the agreement will not prevent use in a  commer-
     cial  setting,  simply avoid blatent profiteering.  It is not our
     intent to restrict the  material  to  non-liscenced  individuals.
     Such cases will be dealt with as they arise -- this is simply the
     default paranoid position recommended by a legal person.

     We charge what I hope to be a nominal charge. The  materials  are
     not included on the conference tape, though similar offerings may
     be in the future.  (Don't hold your breath.) Bear  in  mind  that
     the costs must cover long distance phone calls, mailings, comput-
     er charges, cost of tapes and so on.  These things can hurt.   If
     you feel you honestly can not afford the cost, you probably can't
     afford to call long distance and plead either, but feel  free  to
     try.

     Cost for Commercial or Government:      $125.00

     Cost for Non-profit or Educational:     $ 75.00

     Contact:   Gary Fostel               ...duke!mcnc!ncsu!fostel
                NC State Univ.
                CSC Department            (919) 737-2858, 1-4pm
                P.O. Box 5972
                Raliegh, NC, 27650

     The cost will cover the test set discussed in the  paper/talk  by
     Fostel  and  Naylor, as well as some additional stress tests, and
     some software to help use the tests. (You know TOOLS!) Some paper
     will be included to describe the tests in some more detail. It is
     hoped that YOU will help us extend this test set to features  not
     covered,  or  systems we do not have access to.  This sounds cal-
     lous in the context of a distribution fee,  but  recall  that  it
     would not cost much more to send out ten times as much stuff.  If
     we all pull together, this could be a major step towards quantif-
     ication of portability.