11780 or 2 11750's ??

Rob Wood rob at genrad.UUCP
Wed Jul 6 21:07:57 AEST 1983

In configuring a new Vax to unload our overworked 11780, we have specified
a second Vax 11780.  Some administrators think that we would be better off
with two 11750's.  They say the 11750 is "newer technology", thus better.
They say the 11780 is being phased out.  They say redundancy is better.
They say shared disks can solve the problem of paying for too much disk
space with two systems.  As you can probably tell, I favor the 11780 as I
have one, it works constantly, goes down only occasionally and DEC fixes it
very quickly.  So I need some messages supporting my feelings, or telling
me that they are right and I would be better with 2 750's.  What do you
think?  If you were making the choice, what would you do?  (UNIX is going
to be the OS.)  Your prompt reply would be appreciated.  Thanks.

	Rob Wood	(decvax!genrad!rob)