recovering clobbered aliases file

jfw%mit-ccc at BRL.ARPA jfw%mit-ccc at BRL.ARPA
Thu Jul 21 12:40:12 AEST 1983

Well, since my little program has been sent out, I might as well add some
caveats to it:  when my program recreates the alias file, you will need to
massage the results in the following manner:  all characters which were quoted
in the original by \ will have the 0200 bit set (as in:
mp: mp at mit-vax \mp
), and all characters which were in strings will also have the 0200 bit on
the quotation marks will be there; I can't remember if the \ appears.  I think
so.  If your editor cannot handle such files, a simple repair to my program
would be to replace the printf with something smarter.  Also note that comments
are stripped out, and the lines are in random (one hopes) order.
Your woes are minimized; they are not over...
Have fun,
	jfw @ mit-ccc (John Woods)
	i.e., I admit it.  I wrote it.  Thanks, Mark...