Reasonable 68K UNIX vendor wanted - (nf)

Rosenthal svr at wjh12.UUCP
Thu Jul 21 04:19:02 AEST 1983

	I second the recommendation for MASSCOMP as a vendor of 68K
based systems. We took an early delivery of one (in January) which is
used to support a research project in cardiac electrophysiology at
Massachusetts general Hospital. It's been an absolute delight - rock
solid hardware, a very faithful port of system III plus Berkeley
enhancements, with a good bit-mapped graphics display (800 X 600
monochrome). The firm has been most pleasant to do business with.
You might find the price a bit steep (I blanched a little, but it has
the fastest A-D converter in the West which was an important
requirement for us) but the reliability has been outstanding. Their
user-friendly menu front end to unix is a little too friendly in my
opinion (user-amorous ?) but you don't have to use it if you don't
want to. I've benchmarked it using the prime number benchmark n C that
appeared in BYTE earlier this year, and it's right up there with
11/750s - and not much slower than our 780 (2.4 seconds versus 1.6
seconds cpu time).

				Simon Rosenthal.
				(decvax!linus!genrad!wjh12!svr)