stdio buffering considered harmful

Ken Poulton kdp at hplabs.UUCP
Tue Jul 26 04:34:08 AEST 1983

Yes!  I remember interactive pipelines and they were very useful
at times.  'cat -u' is certainly a kluge, and an environment
variable does seem like the right way to control stdio buffering.
Note that environment variables need not be set at all unless
you wish to change from the default buffering.

I guess I would set up an alias to do the environment setting, so
I could make a pipe run interactively with less typing:
          % ip m4 | adb
One might even consider having the shell set that environment
variable for you whenever the final STDOUT came to the terminal.

                                    Ken Poulton
                                    ...!hplabs!kdp