Any 3Com users out there?

cak at purdue.ARPA cak at purdue.ARPA
Thu Jul 28 03:06:39 AEST 1983

From:  Christopher A Kent <cak at purdue.ARPA>

We at DEC Western Research Lab are using 3Com boards with DEC taps
and 4.1c; the stuff seems fairly robust (except for one board
that came in with the wrong address in it's prom -- that took
a week to find). The people at 3Com have been helpful, if slow
in turnaround on repairs.

I don't know anything about their software. The fact that you
can't send to yourself is a lose, but Berkeley kludges around
it by pushing that stuff through the software loopback.
Even though the boards are reputed to be the slowest Unibus Ethernet
boards on the market, we're still wire limited by TCP. I haven't
tried to measure how much of a load all the copying is.

Cheers,
chris