Missing a signal and pausing forever

msc at qubix.UUCP msc at qubix.UUCP
Thu Jul 7 23:50:53 AEST 1983

	The article about missing the alarm signal and pausing forever
	shows up a general problem with signals.  It is possible
	for a signal to be generated after a program tests some
	condition and before it pauses thus causing the program to
	pause forever.  The system does NOT have to be heavily loaded
	for this to happen.  It happened to me when I was the only user
	on a Sun.

	It seems that signals need to be treated even more like
	hardware interrupts.  One should be able to disable them and
	have signals sent during the disabled period saved for when
	they are enabled again.
--
	Mark
	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!qubix!msc