stack memory allocation - (nf)

arnold at gatech.UUCP arnold at gatech.UUCP
Fri Jul 15 07:01:39 AEST 1983

The reason most people probably don't know about alloca in 4.1 BSD is that
it isn't documented anywhere (at least where 'normal' users would see it).
It is not mentioned on the man page with malloc and calloc, which is
the usual place to look.
	it is also probably peculiar to Berkeley, and therefore not
portable to machines running Bell Unix (v7, sys 3, sys 5, or whatever).
(I mean using it is non-portable. I'm sure the code could be physically
moved to any Vax-Unix system.)
	another reason is that most people don't go looking thru the libraries.
there is nothing wrong in doing so, it's nice to know what one has, but when
that is the only way to find a routine that's not documented, it's not
surprising that the routine is little known.
	how 'bout it you folks at berkeley? if you're going to give us
neat routines like alloca, how about telling us about them? You still
have the chance with 4.2.........
--
Arnold Robbins

Arnold @ GATech		          (CS Net)
Arnold.GATech @ UDel-Relay        (ARPA)
...!{sb1, allegra}!gatech!arnold  (uucp)
...!decvax!cornell!allegra!gatech!arnold