A Program To Allow ANYONE... (Not again!)

Steven M. Kramer smk at linus.UUCP
Sun Nov 27 02:07:14 AEST 1983

I've been on the net for a bit and saw the 1st pass on the kmem breakers.
So, I should have fixed the modes (which I did).  BUT -----------
What about newcomers?  If the site gets the code on the weekend and a
user reads it before the fix is in, TROUBLE!  The user can quaff the
manager's password even as he logs in to fix it.  Also, what about the
sites not on the net that want some kind of security but haven't thought
of the kmem problem thru no fault of their own?

I think it's time we stop posting programs that will cause trouble
for the rest of us.  How would you like someone to post a program that
breaks everything in UNIX and the users get to it before the fix is made
by you?  If you don't manage a system, it doesn't matter, right?  Well,
if you DO, it's the #1 hassle.
--
	--steve kramer
	{allegra,genrad,ihnp4,utzoo,philabs,uw-beaver}!linus!smk	(UUCP)