Help With 11/730, TU80 Tape Drive, and RL02 Disk Drives

nomdenet%rand-unix at tp3.UUCP nomdenet%rand-unix at tp3.UUCP
Wed Nov 16 11:31:00 AEST 1983

   Shortly we'll be getting a VAX-11/730 with a TU80 streaming tape drive
and four RL02 disk drives (I had little say about the configuration), and I
have some questions, but no hardware manuals yet.

   - Will all four RL02s be controlled by the Integrated Disk Controller,
       or only the first two?  If the IDC takes care only of two RL02s,
       what takes care of the second pair?  I see reference in the DEC
       configuration/ordering manual to an RL211-AK controller & drive;
       is that controller independent of the IDC, or is it an extension,
       so to speak?

   - "hp" is UNIX's generic name for disks of the RM and RP persuasion;
       what is the generic name for RL02s?  If the second pair of RL02s
       above is controlled by the RL211, what is its generic name?  Does
       the second pair have a different name than the IDC-controlled pair?

   - Does anybody have a driver for the TU80 tape drive?  Is it suffi-
       ciently like something else that that something else's driver may
       be bent into shape?  If so, what's it like?

   - There is the problem of booting from the UNIX BSD distribution tape.
       If the TU80 is like something else, I can cobble up a boot pro-
       gram to key in from the 730's console.  If it's a unique beast,
       does anybody have such a boot program?

   I greatly need to get in touch with anybody who has worked with 730s
in general and the above hardware in particular.  Since I doubt this is
of sufficient interest to the group as a whole, please send me mail directly
-- though this may be a problem because my usenet access is through the ARPA
network.  I would appreciate it if you could call me weekdays between 11
a.m. and 5:30 p.m. PST.  I'll be grateful for any & all help.

   Once I become familiar with 730s, I'll gladly share with the community.

						TIA,
						A. R. White
						The Rand Corporation
						1700 Main Street