assignment of UIDs

Phil Ngai phil at amd70.UUCP
Fri Nov 11 14:49:32 AEST 1983

I was thinking it would be really neat to give people UIDs which were
the same as their employee number, and GID corresponding to their
department number. Guaranteed existence and uniqueness, etc. Does
anyone else think this is a good or bad idea? It wouldn't work for
companies with more than 2^16 employees, but that shouldn't be a major
limitation, I guess.

One problem I have seen is that "ls" has a limit of 2048 wired into it.
Before I fix this, has anyone else increased the limit? It's not just
changing a constant because there is an array which has 2048 elements
in it, and the idea of allocating 65536 elements seems wasteful.
--
Phil Ngai (408) 988-7777 {ucbvax|decwrl|ihnp4|allegra}!amd70!phil