Amdahl UTS C preprocessor - __LINE__ vs _LINENO, etc.

Randolph J. Herber rjh at ihuxh.UUCP
Sat Nov 5 03:54:02 AEST 1983

In reference to the previous discussion about the C preprocessor
variables giving line number in source file and source file name
and the fact that the Amdahl UTS(tm) preprocessor names them
respectively "_LINENO" and "_FILENM" whereas the AT&T Bell LABS
Unix (tm) preprocessor names them respectively "__LINE__" and
"__FILE__".

I communicated this problem(?) to our UTS support group
and received the following (paraphased) response.

Amdahl uses our own version of the C preprocessor as part of the
UTS C compiler. This was done during the initial port of Unix.
Unfortunely the developers decided to change the names of the
two variables in question. This change is clearly documented.
The latest version of Unix that is being ported (i.e. V) will use
the standard AT&T Bell Labs preprocessor.

If there are any other questions or problems with UTS,
please, feel free to mail them to me (or call) and I will
try to refer them to proper parties within Amdahl.

	Randolph J. Herber, Amdahl Systems Engineer,
	..!ihnp4!ihuxh,
	c/o IH 1C220, AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL 60566,
	    (312) 979-6554 or AT&T Cornet 8-367-6554,
	 or Amdahl Corp., Suite 250, 6400 Shafer, Rosemont, IL 60018,
	    (312) 692-7520