Installing Unix Vendors' Stuff

Hess.Unicorn%mit-multics at sri-unix.UUCP Hess.Unicorn%mit-multics at sri-unix.UUCP
Wed Sep 14 07:49:00 AEST 1983

Where should the vendor for Unix software put his application on your
system?  By that I mean what directories should he use, both in the
ultimate niceness case and the "not worse than..." case, can/should the
vendor installation program make accounts, hack passwd, create
directories, etc.?  Assume a that you had to install a word processing
system with programs, configuration data, local system-wide data, local
per-user data.  I've only seen the installation for Horizon with my own
eyes; has anybody installed LEX-11 or anything else and watched the
hackery involved?

Please either send replies directly to me or Cc: them to me as I am not
on the list (and am not sure that the list wants to hear about this).
Many thanks,
			Brian