Printronix 300 answer

suitti at CSvax suitti at CSvax
Thu Sep 29 02:44:53 AEST 1983

I haven't been able to reply with mail for a while.  Therefore I post it.

			*** nroff for Printronix 300 ***

	We run a pdp 11/44, 2.8 bsd.  We have a couple printronix 300's.  We
have nroff for the beast, with filters to do all kinds of wierdness, thought
only to be available to troff.  The package must include:
	Typeset: a shell script to drive it.  One says: typeset [opts] files..
	peqn: an eqn derivitive.  Modified in somewhat non-standard ways.
	npf: the Nroff to Printronix Filter.  It does the alternate character
fonts, reverse linefeeds (not many on the 11/44), etc.
	texdefs: a file of definitions to make the odd characters available.

	Note: We are a physics department, therefore some things are geared
physics.
	We haven't changed nroff or tbl (to my knowledge).  I can send sources
for the other things.  I would also send a bunch of test files (examples).

	The printronix 300 has "half dots".  These are overlaping & are used
in normal printing.  Half dots are poorly documented.  Their use was figured
out by experimentation.  Some sites have had trouble getting thier printer
to do them.  If required, I can send you our "opr".
	Cost, etc:
	I don't want any money.  We are going to have to figure out how to
get the stuff to you, if you want it.  I don't recomend the usenet.
I can get to Arpa, if required.  There is always 1600 bpi tape & US mail
(called "Walknet").  My addresses are:

...pur-ee!pur-phy:suitti		Stephen Uitti
...purdue!pur-phy:suitti		Dept of Physics
					Purdue University
					W. Lafayette, In 47907