USG 5.0 'find' and 'ls' blocksize questions

mel at houxm.UUCP mel at houxm.UUCP
Fri Sep 30 12:29:46 AEST 1983

This whole "block size" thing is really STUPID !  Why do we put up with
it?  Why don't we all just agree to refer to file and buffer sizes in
bytes and Kbytes (1024 bytes), and stop this blockheadedness.  There aren't
10 people in the country that can keep straight which program on what
machine reports "blocks" in so-and-so size (and they are all in the nut
house, along with the guy that can multiply 35 digit numbers in his head).
What happens when someone foists the multi-size block file system onto us?
How much of a job would it be to fix ALL the size reporting programs to
use bytes or Kbytes (appropriately so marked, of course)?  Would the cost
be even a fraction of the lost time caused by the present mess?
   Mel Haas  ,  houxm!mel