A question on input redirection

spear at ihopb.UUCP spear at ihopb.UUCP
Sat Sep 17 06:40:08 AEST 1983

I have been trying to come up with a generalized
way to direct input to a command such that it takes
it's input from a file for a while and then begins
taking input from the standard input (keyboard).
I am interested in having a repetitive series of
commands piped to a certain job after which I want
to enter further commands from the keyboard.  The
problem normally encountered in any scheme I have
tried is the reaching of end of file during the
initial input which causes the command to terminate.

I have tried various schemes of manipulating file
descriptors with no success.  Any suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advances,

Steven Spearman
ihnp4!ihopb!spear