Korea EMH problem

turkewit at bbn-unix turkewit at bbn-unix
Wed Sep 21 05:10:42 AEST 1983

From:  Kenneth A. Turkewitz <turkewit at bbn-unix>

Michel,
	In case you haven't already been answered...
	What you need to check is the proper network servers.  Do
a dpy -l.  (If you filter it through more, then you will get the full
lines.)  Is netser (or tcp_netser) running?  Is ftpsrv (or tcp_ftpsrv)
running?  Other servers that should be running include an smtp server
(I'm not sure of the name, but it will probably be pretty obvious if
you see it).
	If none of these are running, then you should check to see if
you have an /etc/net/neton file.  If so, this file should have the proper invocation for the servers.  The call to this program should be put into /etc/rc.
	If the programs are already running:  How are you trying to ftp
or telnet to the machine?  Are you using a name or an address?  If you
are only trying the name, then try using the absolute address.
	If the servers are running, and your host is not yet listed
in all of the host tables that the rest of the world has, then you
can't use a nanem, and must use an address.  If you want to try the name,
however, you can do the following:  Edit /etc/net/hosts.txt and add
your host to it.  I don't  know the exact pattern of the line offhand,
but you may be able to catch on by looking at other hosts' entries.
Save this file, and then give the command "makehdb hosts.txt hosts.hst"
(while in the /etc/net directory).  You should now be able to telnet
or ftp from your host to the same host.
	Let me know if thius still gives your problems.
		--Ken