Unix IPC

Rosenthal svr at wjh12.UUCP
Wed Sep 21 03:14:03 AEST 1983

(I'll try again -- last one got munged by inews)
Masscomp (makers of MC68000 Unix- based laboratory computer
systems) have actually implemented VMS/RSX - style ASTs in such a way
that they can be used as the basis for general-purpose  IPC. It's the best
way to write some kinds of programs (e.g. real-time data acquisition).
They have a separate astpause function which waits for the process to
receive an ast or times out after some arbitrary time. I'm finding
that when combined with pipes or FIFOs you can devise very neat IPC
schemes.

		Simon Rosenthal(!decvax!genrad!wjh12!svr)