sh bug

Steve Summit stevesu at bronze.UUCP
Sat Sep 24 06:49:46 AEST 1983

While I'm dredging up these silly old questions, here's another
one:  Has anyone ever fixed this long-standing bug in sh?

        "If << is used to provide standard input to an asynchronous
        process invoked by &, the shell gets mixed up about naming
        the input document.  A garbage file /tmp/sh* is created,
        and the shell complains about not being able to find the
        file by another name."

The first time I read that I thought, "What an obscure bug.  Who'd
want to do that?"  Since then, though, there have been a couple
of occasions when I've wanted to use that very construction.

Given the bizarre way that the shell is written, and the fact that
the bug has been so glaringly reported there in sh(1) for so long
without being fixed, I would guess that it's nearly impossible.
Has anyone tried?
                                  Steve Summit
                                  textronix!tekmdp!bronze!stevesu