problem with vax console rev 7

Dan Strick dan at idis.UUCP
Mon Sep 26 22:49:34 AEST 1983

We have DEC maintenance on our VAX 11/780.  During the past half
year or so our local sevice people have tried (and failed) on at
least four occasions to upgrade our (console?) system to "rev 7."
In the past, their diagnostics always failed after the upgrade.
This time the system passed their diagnostics but got a double
error halt during unix startup (after system sizes are typed but
before the operating system type and amount of available main
memory is typed).  Other 4bsd systems on our campus have been
successfully upgraded to "rev 7" but they all run 4.1bsd.
We still run 4.0bsd.  Can anyone shed any light on the matter.
In particular, does anyone know of any incompatibility between
4.0 and rev 7 or does anyone know of another 4.0bsd system that
has upgraded to rev 7?

			Dan Strick
			University of Pittsburgh
			[mcnc!decvax]!idis!dan