Your flame about Unix philosophy...right on target.

dan%bbncd at sri-unix.UUCP dan%bbncd at sri-unix.UUCP
Wed Sep 28 03:24:32 AEST 1983

From:  Dan Franklin <dan at bbncd>

Multics--in particular, MIT-Multics, which was both well-documented, because it
was a product, and well supported, because our bug reports went straight to the
developers at CISL some two blocks away.  (It's probably still that way, but I
haven't been there for awhile.) It was also quite reliable, despite frequent
new releases.  It also maintained REAL compatibility; when I was there, there
was at least one program which still ran, even though it was written on
the original GE 645 hardware, running a (by now) truly ancient version of the
software, and the sources had been lost long ago.

It's too bad the hardware architecture is so archaic (though it has many
special-purpose registers, it's only a one-accumulator machine) and Honeywell
so inept about selling computers.  The only useful thing UNIX has that Multics
doesn't is pipes.

	Dan