Zero Based Program Query - (nf)

jim at hp-pcd.UUCP jim at hp-pcd.UUCP
Thu Sep 22 17:22:21 AEST 1983

#N:hp-pcd:19500003:000:749
hp-pcd!jim    Sep 19 14:17:00 1983

	Should all user programs be mapped so that they are
	zero based?

	We have noticed a problem with an application program (fsck)
	when it is run in an address map that is non-zero based.
	By non-zero based I mean the program is linked to be based at
	a non-zero logical address, i.e. 0x800000.  When fsck attempts
	to allocate a working buffer, the first thing is does is
	an sbrk to find out how big it is.  The number returned
	in the non-zero based case is 0x800000+(size of fsck).
	When fsck attempts to compare this number with an arbitrary
	max size, it gets confused.

	Are there other programs which expect to be zero based,
	or is fsck an isolated example?

	Thanks for your help,
	Jim Andreas
	hp-pcd\!jim