Unix philosophy

steve at brl-bmd steve at brl-bmd
Thu Sep 22 11:52:55 AEST 1983

From:      Stephen Wolff <steve at brl-bmd>

		I think Berkeley had in mind piping between processes on
		separate CPUs when they changed to socket pairs.

Yep, indeed they did!  We are of course going to exploit this nifty feature in
the rewrite of our large, multi-player, multi-process C3 simulation; we will
no longer be hamstrung by the process and file descriptor limits, nor by the
pipe restriction that all player processes share a (possibly distant) common
ancestor.  Since the 4.2 IPC syntax is domain-independent (i.e., uniform), we
shall be able to pass the network hostname of each player as arguments at
start-up and allow each program to decide whether it needs to use the internal
(UNIX) or the network domain in the IPC calls.

Personally, I think the integration of UNIX and networking via the 4.1c/4.2 IPC
mechanism is a marvelous intellectual construct; my hat's off to the inventor.

We don't do games, of course.  But many must have noted this stuff will allow
`Search' across the Net.  (Whir  click   poing   snap   OOPS!   Hello?)
									-s