Wanted: system accounting program

Glenn C. Scott glenn at sdcrdcf.UUCP
Fri Sep 23 05:28:23 AEST 1983

  I am in the finishing stages of a set of programs, etc. to provide a
reasonable accounting system for 4.1bsd.  It involves small changes to
syscall() in trap.c, an addition of two system calls ( You get a nice way to
implement locally added system calls as a bonus ).  I knew, when I started,
that there were scores of accounting methods being used on UNIX but none that
I knew about were general enough.  This has solved the problem for us.

  Accounting is done on a per-process basis for CPU usage, average memory and
block I/O.  Static disk storage and login time are done on a daily and
per-session basis respectively.  Per-process accounting and login time also
have a limited notion of prime-time and non-prime-time.

A file is kept containing valid accounts for each user.  The user selects, at
login time, what account he wishes to charge his session to.  There are
commands which allow a user to execute a command using a different account than
he is currently using.

  If anyone is interested please send me mail.

Glenn C. Scott	(glenn at sdcrdcf)
System Development Corporation
Research and Development Computer Facility
MS72-02
Santa Monica, California.
		90406
213-820-4111 X5610