Does 4.2 run on a 785?

William P. Malloy malloy at ittral.UUCP
Wed Aug 15 10:40:15 AEST 1984

Our local MIS head wants to "upgrade" our Vax-780 to a 785.  As he's from
IBM-land he believes in the upgrade option (it's the IBM way, DEC's counting
on the MIS heads I suspect to sell 785's).

So he wants to do it, whether we want it or not.  So the question is, does
Berkeley 4.2 UNIX run on a 785, i.e. does anyone have it running?  I heard
rumors someone on the net had one.  Does it break anything?  If so how bad?
If not, what do you get out of it?  I suspect not much, especially at the
price (which is either 60K discounted from 75K, or 100K solid, with a 10 month
lead time) but like I said, we maybe forced into it no matter what.

Like they say, Thanks in advance.
--
Address: William P. Malloy, ITT Telecom, B & CC Engineering Group, Raleigh NC
	 {ihnp4!mcnc, burl, ncsu, decvax!ittvax}!ittral!malloy