more sun and vax diffs

geoff at callan.UUCP geoff at callan.UUCP
Fri Aug 31 12:05:25 AEST 1984

>My experience with the Sun 2 workstation is that it returns a value
>which is printed via printf as "NAN" (not a number).  I was under
>the impression this had something  to do with the IEEE standard
>for floating point software.  They claim they conform.  My question
>is whether or not they are consistent when using their Sky
>hardware FP processor.
>					Bill Beblo
>					Bell Communications Research

The Sky FP unit is IEEE-488, and thus will return NAN's and infinity when
appropriate.  The SUN printf routines recognize these as special cases and
print them specially.  Thus, I would expect all to work just find when using
the Sky board.

Isn't it interesting that Sunny Kirsten of Sun answered a totally different
question that wasn't even raised in Beblo's posting, and the correct answer
had to come from one of Sun's hottest competitors?
--

	Geoff Kuenning
	Callan Data Systems