4.2 reboot problems

raj at UCI-750A.ARPA raj at UCI-750A.ARPA
Thu Aug 23 12:32:36 AEST 1984

From:  Richard Johnson <raj at UCI-750A.ARPA>

We have a Vax 750 and have been running 4.2 since about the beginning of
this year.  We recently removed an RM05 from Massbus 0 and installed an
RUA81 on the Unibus.  We also have an Eagle running with an Emulex Massbus
controller on Massbus 2.  We have a spare Massbus 1 which isn't connected
to anything and has never caused us any problems.  Right after installing
the RUA81 we started having problems with rebooting the system.  It will
not auto-reboot and most times will hang rebooting after taking the system
down with "shutdown".  The output we get before it hangs is:

167720+56384+35416 start 0xf30
4.2 BSD UNIX ...
realmem = 4452352
availmem = 3508224
using 217 buffers containing 445440 bytes of memory
mcr0 at tr0
mba0 at tr4

At this point it stops.  We have found that pushing the <reset> button
will make it boot correctly as will turning it off and back on again.

Question:  Has anyone ever heard of this type of thing before?

My guess is that either the RUA81 is not allowing everything to reset
correctly on shutdown or the lack of a device at mba0 and mba1 is
confusing the autoconfiguration.