UNIX VAX 11/780 Swap Space Question

B Weber benw at desoto.UUCP
Sat Aug 4 05:03:49 AEST 1984

	We are running USG UNIX 5.0 on a VAX 11/780, and are gearing
up to run some huge (~6 Meg) programs on the system.  Our current
limit to the number of users is our swap space...even though we
have 16Meg of swap, we will not have enough to run the number
of concurrent programs we need.

I have heard that this 16 Meg swap space on the VAX is an absolute
limit, bound by the representation of the number of clicks (512 byte
blocks) representable by a short integer.  Is there any truth to
this?  Is anyone running on a VAX with a larger swap space, or
diddled with the OS to allow for larger?  Also, how big a swap
map must go with it?

By the way, to cut off the usual responses, we can't make the
programs smaller or switch machines!

					Thanks,
					Ben Weber   pyuxmm!benw
					AT&T Technologies