VAX 750 RAM based microcode and Unix

Chris Boylan boylan at dicomed.UUCP
Thu Aug 9 02:09:55 AEST 1984

We are running at REV 7 with 4.2bsd.  The microcode problem
is not as bad as it appears at first glance.  In the event of
a powerfail, you have to (by hand) boot the diagnostic cassette
and then boot your system.  This adds about 5 minutes to the
boot cycle.  Happily, everything SEEMS to work ok if you don't
load the microcode.  We leave the machine in auto-restart and
if it goes down during the night, we don't worry about it.

The only other problem that we have been having is the date frequently
gets bashed when the machine crashes (???) and the diagnostics cassette
seems to set the clock off consistantly.

If someone has a method to load the microcode from UNIX I would
like to hear about it.  I dont have a complete 750 manual set it
appears since I cant find anything (except for a couple of sentences
in the maintenance handbook) about loading the micro control store.
--

	Chris Boylan
	{mgnetp | ihnp4 | uwvax}!dicomed!boylan