Clarification of uucp/usenet question

stassen at trwspp.UUCP stassen at trwspp.UUCP
Thu Aug 9 06:53:37 AEST 1984

[]

	This is a clarification of the question that I asked earlier.
In the "Usenet maps," each host has an entry something like the following
(omitting parts not relevant to this topic):

Name:	FOO
News:	BAR	BLETCH
Mail:	SPAM

	Which of the following are true statements? (Please explain a little)
	[I mean, "based ONLY on the entry above, indicate the correctness]
	[or incorrectness of each of the following statements, or that   ]
	[there is not enough information to tell.  If there is not enough]
	[information, which machine's entry in the map would give it?"   ]

	/* NEWS QUESTIONS */

	(1) If I post a news article on FOO, it will be sent directly
	    to BAR at some time (i.e. not through any other intermediate
	    machines).  "BAR receives news from FOO"

	(2) If I post a news article on BAR, it will be sent directly
	    to FOO at some time (i.e. not through any other intermediate
	    machines).  "FOO receives news from BAR"

	(3) If I post a news article on FOO, it will NOT be sent directly
	    to SPAM at some time.  "SPAM does not receive news from FOO"

	(4) If I post a news article on SPAM, it will NOT be sent directly
	    to FOO at some time.  "FOO does not receive news from SPAM"

	/* MAIL QUESTIONS */

	(5) Mail can be sent from FOO to SPAM. (i.e. X!FOO!SPAM!... is legal
	    if X knows how to send mail to FOO). "SPAM can receive mail
	    from FOO"

	(6) Mail can be sent from SPAM to FOO. (i.e. X!SPAM!FOO!... is legal
	    if X knows how to send mail to SPAM). "FOO can receive mail
	    from SPAM"

	(7) Mail to FOO can ONLY be sent or received through SPAM. "FOO
	    only communicates to SPAM for mail"

	(8) Mail cannot be sent from FOO to BAR. (i.e. FOO!BAR!... is not
	    legal)

	(9) Mail cannot be sent from BAR to FOO. (i.e. BAR!FOO!... is not
	    legal).

	On our machine, the union of the set of "news machines" with the
set of "mail machines" is the listing I get using "uuname".  But, since
there is a distinction between "news machines" and "mail machines", how
do I decide which ones allow links for mail, and which ones allow links
for news?

	Thanks in advance (and, again, reply to me, please).. I will
send a summary to anyone who asks for one, and post it if there is
enough interest.

				-- Chris Stassen
				   vortex!trwspp!stassen (I think!)