grading in uucico

code 101 honey at down.FUN
Fri Aug 3 23:58:02 AEST 1984

Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam proposes adding an option to uucico that
disables low priority work requests.  (The priority of a request is
given by the grade character in the work files.)  Brian, Dave and I
(i.e. honey danber) considered this option (i.e., at least one of us
gave it some thought) and rejected it, for the same reason we rejected
several other proposed features:  other tools can provide the same
functionality.  (If you read between the lines, you can glean some of
our basic philosophy.)

In fact, the princeton -> astrovax connection has the characteristics
described:  princeton passes mail on demand but batches news and
prepares the file transfer during off-peak hours (out of crontab).  I
suspect this is a general solution to Piet's problem.

Some asides:  grade characters have full support in honey danber; low
grade jobs (e.g., news) are transmitted last by the sender and executed
last by the receiver.  (A tip of the honey danber hat to Mark Horton.)
Yes, we shed the kernel packet driver support.  Bugs.uucp has
traditionally served a broader function than just bug reports, but
unix-wizards seems a reasonable place as well.  Finally, I am informed
that honey danber will be released this summer.

	Peter Honeyman