4.2BSD signal question (revised).

discolo at ucsbcsl.UUCP discolo at ucsbcsl.UUCP
Fri Aug 31 05:56:36 AEST 1984

I have solved my own question about why SIGTERM and SIGHUP
continue a stopped process, while the other signals do not.
I quote from the UPM entry for csh(1) pp. 12:

	"kill ...
		... If the signal being sent is TERM (terminate)
		or HUP (hangup), then the job or process will be
		sent a CONT (continue) signal as well."

My new question is why is QUIT not included with TERM and HUP,
since the probable reason this is done is to cause immediate
response to an urgent condition?

Could the reason be tradition?
--

uucp: ucbvax!ucsbcsl!discolo