Can anyone run vms code under unix?

djl at tropix.UUCP djl at tropix.UUCP
Thu Aug 2 14:04:19 AEST 1984

Recently we purchased a vax 750 for the express purpose of
running lens design application programs.  The one that is
currently getting the most use is a VMS binary for which
we cannot get source.  As a result the people running on the
vax are using Eunice.  For those of us who use a real
operating system (unix) on a daily basis VMS/Eunice is
getting to be a pain in the rear.

What I would like to know is if anyone has sucessfully written
a unix program to simulate VMS system calls, similar to what
my understanding of compat does for the chess binary?

If I can find such a program then I can get permission easily
to convert the vax over to unix.

Licensing shouldn't be a problem as we have source licenses for:
system III, system V, system V R. 2, 4.1, 4.2,
V7 (pdp-11), 2.8, and various other tapes.

Feel free to mail me any responses, I would be glad update anyone
else who would like to know.  I can also post any responses
back to the net at a later date.

		Douglas J Leavitt
		{allegra, ihnp4, masscomp, ritcv}!tropix!djl