Getting getty to hangup lines (summary of responses)

Mike Greenberg mlg at ipms.UUCP
Tue Aug 14 11:44:26 AEST 1984

Thanks to all of those who responed...There are several
reasons a line is not always hung up, and several possible
solutions:
    Reasons for not hanging up:
	- A process unset the hangup on close bit via. ioctl
	- All process attached to the terminal are not dead
	  when the logout occured
	- DTR was not dropped long enough for the modem to hang up.
	  (A DF03 requires 1.5 seconds)
    Possible solutions:
	- Modify init and/or getty to drop DTR for a while
	- Modify vhangup() system call
	- Put sleep() at strategic places in getty and ioctl
	- Modify the shell to drop DTR for a few seconds when
	  a person does a logout.
    Implemented solution:
	- I modified the shell to drop DTR for 3 seconds
	  after a logout.  Lets here it for yet another
	  hack...

	- I could not properly modify init or getty to do the right
	  thing.  The closest I got was to have init drop DTR on a line
	  several seconds after you connected (not very usefull)

Thanks again for all of the help...Please do not comment on this
topic to either net.unix-wizards or to me via. mail.
(I'd hate to see four months of discussion about this...)
--
Mike Greenberg		    USENET: ..decvax!sultan!ipms!mlg
Digital Equipment Corp.	    ARPA: ipms!mlg at cmu-ri-isl 	ENET: cdr::greenberg