7 bit even parity --> 8 bit no parity

GROTTLE at USC-ISI.ARPA GROTTLE at USC-ISI.ARPA
Wed Dec 5 00:44:01 AEST 1984

I have a small problem.  Need to have UN*X talk back with 8 bits ( the high
order bit being 0 ) instead of 7 bits even parity.  The desired results are
to be able to disable XON/XOFF in the SET-UP menu of a PRO-350 (DEC) while
in terminal emulation and be able to read the output from
UN*X.  We are running 4.2BSD on a VAX 11/780.  Also we are using the 'new tty' driver.

Recieved some response on this a while back.  Setting the terminal in raw mode certainly does the trick but we lose more than we gain.  Setting LITOUT
also helps but alas no carraige returns , only line feeds.  Setting
even and odd parity ( stty even; stty odd ) helps but on entering 'vi'
the output becomes unreadable.

What i think I need is something at a lower level.  When a user logs
onto the VAXen through the network ( SYTEK lan ) is the first point
where the output should look reasonable.

i.e.
Login: xxxx
Password:

instead of

L~*(@:
?"Aw(`...:

To me this looks like doing more than just tampering with stty modes.

Any help ?  Better yet is this even possible ?

p.s.  I realize that disabling XON/XOFF on the recieving terminal
makes little sense, ( assume the network handles this ) but that is what
the people behind this want.  Basically just need output of 8 bits
no parity instead of 7 bits even parity.

thanks in advance.

kevin
gorttle at usc-isi

PRO-350 ---> Digital Equip. Corp.