Question about 4.2 swap space and pstat -s

Alan Crosswell US.ALAN%CU20B at COLUMBIA.ARPA
Sat Dec 1 09:15:15 AEST 1984

Occassionally,  we get a `no more core' error on our 750 running
4.2.  Apparently,  having several CCA EMACS processes or maybe just
a lot of EMACS buffers seems to be the culprit.  If I do a pstat -s
around this time,  I get the following type of result:

	28934 used (1954 text), 3994 free, 12344 wasted, 0 missing
	avail: 2*1024 1*512 1*256 3*128 5*64 6*32

Could someone explain to me what the 12344 wasted means and/or how to
correct the problem.  We have a somewhat unusual configuration in that
our 750 has 6Mb real memory and a single RA81 disk, so the interleaved
swap warning at boot time has to go unheeded.  We have done no tuning
of the RA81 partition sizes and are therefore running essentially the
distributed 4.2 with very few of the bug fixes installed so far.  We
aren't too sophisticated when it comes to 4.2 here, so any pointers to
what may seem obvious to you would be appreciated.  If this is a known
and fixed bug,  a pointer to which of the 500 or so would help too!

Thanks,
Alan Crosswell
Columbia University Center for Computing Activities
us.alan at cu20b.arpa
-------