tbuf errors

sherouse at unc.UUCP sherouse at unc.UUCP
Tue Dec 18 08:11:50 AEST 1984

In article <brl-tgr.6592> rbbb at RICE.ARPA writes:
>It is still possible to get the tbuf errors with rev 7 hardware.  We have
>always had rev 7 hardware, and we have never had the writeable control
>store.  We once had lots of errors, and now we do not.  How did we fix
>this, back in the days before microcode updates?  I believe that we
>replaced the L0001 module with one that used a different brand of chips.
>This fix was discovered through a great deal of board-swapping; if anyone
>has a similar story...

Similar is not the word.  We had exactly the same experience.  The
original L0001 was *so* bad we couldn't keep the machine up long
enough to read the distribution tape!  We are now crashing about once
every two weeks with a light load.  Is it true that there is a *tested*
and available version of the micropatch loader for 4.2bsd?  And does
it really help?

George W. Sherouse
Associate Physicist
Division of Radiation Therapy