Needed: Labelled tape utility.

jmrm%cuedvax at UCL-CS.ARPA jmrm%cuedvax at UCL-CS.ARPA
Mon Dec 17 19:35:46 AEST 1984

About two weeks ago Andy Adler <andy at bbnccp> asked for information about
Unix utilities for writing ANSI standard labelled tapes. I originally tried
to reply direct but delivery appears to fail so I am posting this to the net
instead.

I have a program which will write ansi standard labelled tapes containing
ascii data, or in the unformatted record mode any other type of data. It
would not be unduly difficult to add ascii to ebcdic conversion (I am not
clear whether this is what you mean by ebcdic binary data) however our
IBM installation is quite happy to convert ascii to/from ebcdic for ansi
tapes. We have used this program to transfer text to/from DEC (VMS and
RSX) and IBM.