Access to kmem - System namelist - 'ps' etc

Roger Southwick rogers at dadla.UUCP
Thu Dec 6 15:17:43 AEST 1984

<TAKE THIS BUG!!!   SPLAT! HACK!!  REND!!>>>

What I'd really love to see is a system call which you could get
the information needed for ps.  This would simplify the dickens out
of "ps", "w", and other programs which you need to find out about
non-children processes (like an auto-logout based on time program
we have that was hacked from the "w" code...).

Anyway, if the complete system call is not possible,
I would like a cleaner interface into /dev/?mem.  Perhaps
a system call which you could use to get addresses of
various things rather than just knowing how big items are,
and looking from the beginning of tables (or however ps handles
it).  This would make those tables whose size is determined
at boot time a breeze to look thru, and really wouldn't cost
that much.

Something like:

	getaddrof(item, addressp)
	int item; char *addressp;

"item" could be selected from a list of defines, and we would
supply a char pointer to stuff the address into ("addressp", above).

The call should only good for the super user, so users can't go
looking at other people's data (possibly getting a password...).

Well, enough of the strangeness.  I suppose it's only wishfull
thinking on my part.  I guess the handstands one must go through
is really job security.  I mean, gosh.. then EVEN the unskilled
could write a portable "ps"...  :-)

		-Roger

UUCP:			HOST!tektronix!dadla!rogers

			Where HOST is any one of:

			masscomp,decvax,allegra,uf-cgrl,mit-eddie,mit-ems,
			uoregon,psu-cs,orstcs,zehntel,ucbcad,ucbvax,purdue,
			uw-beaver,reed,ogcvax,ihnp4,tekred,minn-ua,cbosg

CSnet:			rogers%dadla at tektronix

ARPAnet:		rogers%dadla%tektronix at csnet-relay