smart compilers

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Sat Dec 8 10:48:29 AEST 1984

> ...  I prefer a compiler to do the expected -- what
> I told it to do.  These kinds of 'optimizations' can make programming a pain
> in the neck.  When it comes to programming, I prefer to be the one that makes
> the mistakes ...

The problem is that such "obviously wrong" optimizations as deleting entire
loops completely may be a side effect of complex combinations of different
optimizations, where each optimization in itself is eminently reasonable.
The solution is not dumb compilers, but compilers that can be told what to
do and what not to do.  The addition of "volatile" to the ANSI C draft is
a major example.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology