Trademark solution - finally an acronym

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Sat Dec 29 12:29:16 AEST 1984

> >	                                                 Must we all spend our
> >	lives twisting ourselves out of shape for fear of displeasing some
> >	bloody lawyers?
>
> 	Yes.

NO!  The reason many of us do things with the word "Unix" is that
we have contracts with AT&T agreeing to protect their trademark.
(We're required by that contract to note that Unix is a trademark
of AT&T Bell Laboratories and to make it "typographically
distinct.")  Protecting other people's trademarks is their own
responsibility.  Often, commercial outfits will credit trademarks
in advertising so that the trademark owners don't get upset,
but general correspondance and other use requires no such
care.

(I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice - it's just my
understanding of the legal advice I've received.)

--
Ed Gould
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed