11/750 Backplane upgrade: 16K to 64K

Douglas Robinson dbr at cybvax0.UUCP
Sat Dec 1 02:11:57 AEST 1984

We have just received a upgrade option from DEC to change our currently
fully loaded 16K RAM backplane (yes one of the 'oldies' :-}) to a 64K
RAM backplane.  We have 2Mb in the current backplane and are attempting
(gag) to support ~25 users (our poor 750...).  Does anyone have any
benchmark results to *prove* to management that such an upgrade is
worthwhile if we can go from 2Mb to 3Mb or more?  We currently run
4.2BSD and when the number of users gets to about 20 things really
deteriorate quickly if anyone tries to do anything difficult (like a 'c'
compile).  I was hoping that with the added memory the O/S would be
able to keep more in memory and swap less thereby reducing the disk
overhead for such loads...  Does anyone know for sure?  With numbers
to prove it???

Many thanks.
--
Doug Robinson		Jobs don't kill programmers... programmers kill jobs!
Cybermation, Inc.	617/492-8810

...!{mit-eddie, harvard, mirror}!cybvax0!dbr