hanging modems

Stephen J. Hartley hartley at uvm-cs.UUCP
Sun Dec 23 06:16:29 AEST 1984

We run 4.2 BSD on a VAX-11/750 and 780, with DEC DMF32 terminal multiplexers and
DEC DF03 modems.  If somebody dials in and leaves a background job running, it
will hang the modem (next person to dial in on the line gets carrier but no
response or login banner) unless all three of stdin, stdout, and stderr were
redirected.  Forgetting to redirect stderr is very easy to do.  There was some
discussion of this problem in unix-wizards last summer, I believe.  Is there
still no solution?  Was a fix ever posted?  Thanks.
--
"If that's true, then I'm the Pope!"		Stephen J. Hartley
USENET:	decvax!dartvax!uvm-gen!uvm-cs!hartley	The University of Vermont