arguments for a command file

kapil at dartvax.UUCP kapil at dartvax.UUCP
Thu Dec 20 05:11:13 AEST 1984

I am facing a problem writing a command file. I would like this file
to be run with an argument supplied. The command it executes is cd.
the argument is the pathname it should default to. the command file
enables the 25th line prints the new directory in reverse video,
clears the screen and repositions the cursor at the top of the screen.

I am attempting to pass the argument by --
cd $1
Is this the right way of doing it?
I print the pwd in the command file and it prints the expected one.
On using the command pwd outside the command file I find that the
change in the directory has not been made.
Why does it do this?