More on 4.2 mail

Ted Nolan ted at usceast.UUCP
Fri Dec 7 08:51:03 AEST 1984

In article <308 at sdchema.UUCP> jwp at sdchema.UUCP (John Pierce) writes:
>While we're on this subject, there is another problem that can also be a bit
>mystifying.
>
>If you have a heavily loaded system and mail gets heavy use it's possible for
>user's mailboxes to get scrambled through two processes writing to it at once.
>Both sendmail and /bin/mail try to prevent this by establishing a lock file
>while they're rewriting the mail file.  Both (understandbly) have code that
>allows a process to break the lock after some number of seconds.  As we got
>it, however, /bin/mail's time limit was 30 seconds.
>
>.................................................. If anyone has a better fix
>I would much appreciate hearing about it.
>
>				John Pierce, Chemistry, UC San Diego
>				{decvax,sdcsvax}!sdchema!jwp

How about having binmail and sendmail use 4.2's flock(2) system call.
Sounds like exactly what's needed.

				Ted Nolan	..usceast!ted
Ted Nolan                               ...decvax!mcnc!ncsu!ncrcae!usceast!ted
6536 Brookside Circle                   ...akgua!usceast!ted
Columbia, SC 29206
      ("Deep space is my dwelling place, the stars my destination")